29 THINGS I HAVE LEARNED IN 29 YEARS:
a list in
Day Thirty-One: two days late – all the rest of myknowledge
6. Don’t let a boy give you a hickey.
Hickeys are really gross. And tacky. Don’t let them happen to you! It’s pretty easy to tell if someone is bruising your neck with their mouth, so just make them stop.
Addendum: If by some chance you do get a hickey, it better be in the winter. Be thankful that it is winter time and you happen to have a great assortment of turtlenecks.
7. Smart girls are cool.
This will always be true. Reading is cool. Knowing things is cool. Don’t dumb yourself down.
8. Don’t let a strange man into your apartment.
Does this really need explaining? It only takes one time to learn this lesson. (Even smart girls can make dumb mistakes.)
9. If you see a sign that says ‘Tow Away Zone’, take it seriously.
This an expensive mistake to make. (Again, smart girl – dumb decision)
10 There is a big difference between dishwashER detergent and dishwashING detergent.
You will notice this difference by whether or not there are soap suds and bubbles all over your kitchen floor.
11. Wear a belt.
Your pants may seem to fit perfectly in the morning, but this is an illusion. By the time you get off of work, your pants will be a different size. Unless you want your pants to slowly start creeping down your ass while you are carrying groceries and cannot pull them back up again, just wear the belt.
12. Write thank you notes.
People appreciate it. Show them that you were raised with manners. I’m pretty sure my grandmother never forgave me for not writing any thank you notes after I received graduation presents when I was 18. Is 11 years too late? I really did appreciate the towels.
13. High heels aren’t really worth it.
A typical person will put up with a lot of unpleasant situations in their lifetime. It’s part of the deal – usually you just have to smile and get through it. But you do not have to consciously torture your feet. If you stand too long, even flat shoes will make your feet hurt. Screw the heels.If for some reason you do have to wear heels, put some flats in your purse.
14. If you find an article of clothing that is REALLY flattering, buy it in 3 colors.
Just don’t wear it all 3 days in a row. You’ll be fine.
15. Cooking really isn’t that hard.
This I have only learned VERY recently. I may be 29, but just six months ago I prepared most of my meals in the microwave. But guess what? There are directions for cooking. It’s called recipes. I have successfully prepared multiple meals at this point without burning my apartment building down.
16. My mother is a Saint.
She’s pretty much the best mom ever. She puts up with a lot silly shit – not only from me but from my sisters as well. I want you to imagine how awful teenage girls are….now multiply that times 3. My mother lived with that every day for approximately 10 years and didn’t murder anyone. Plus, she always has time to talk on the phone (or returns my calls promptly). Lately, most of these calls are me asking really dumb cooking questions (please see #14).
17.Your parents are not perfect.
They used to be your age. They make mistakes like everybody else.
18. Go to your college classes.
You might think that in the long run skipping class won’t matter. But there may come a day when your 26 year-old self has to explain your 21 year-old GPA.
19. Don’t take pictures holding cigarettes or beer cans.
It’s just tacky.
20. Say please and thank you.
People appreciate it.
21. Be skeptical of any man you meet on the internet.
Yes, we live in an age where internet dating is more common than ever and no longer carries a negative stigma. However, in my experience, most of the guys who converse with online will turn out to be a) dumb, b) boring, or c) looking for an excuse to send you a picture of their penis.
22. The most perfect guy ever is Westley from The Princess Bride.
- He senses when you are in trouble (or you know, kidnapped) and drops his lucrative pirating business to rescue you.
- He had the forethought to build up an immunity to iocaine power.
- If you throw a hissy-fit and PUSH HIM DOWN A MOUNTAIN, he’s not even mad!
- He will kill a large rodent to defend you, even when you are just too lazy get up off the ground.
- He will jump into a pit of lightning sand to save you.
- Basically every time you do something dumb, he is going to try and make it better.
- He will come back from the dead for you, his true love. *swoon*
- He’s smart – could you have come up with a better way to storm the castle?
- He would never try to text you a picture of his penis.
Oh, and there is this:
23. Make an effort to stay in touch with your friends.
You never know when you will need them. And liking a facebook status does not count as maintaining a friendship.
24. When you move into your own apartment, there are a few must have items.
A broom, a first aid kit, and a plunger. Do not wait until you need a plunger, just have one!
25. Invest in good bras.
Just do it. And make sure you are buying the right size. Your boobs will thank you.
26. Lots of people have no idea what they are doing most of the time.
Fake it til you make it is an acceptable strategy for getting through lots of things.
27. You are allowed to say no some times.
Don’t feel obligated to do things you don’t want to do. You don’t have to stretch yourself too thin. You don’t have to be the one who helps out every single time. It’s ok to hang out on the couch and do nothing on occasion. It’s therapeutic.
28. Stick to your deadlines.
Clearly, this is something I am still working on since I planned on being done with this list two days ago. I’m not perfect.
29. Change can be good.
Moving from Mississippi to Illinois might be completely terrifying. But, if you’re lucky, it just might work out okay.